Thursday, April 10, 2008

Quite a Scare

Brayden had his first asthma attack on Tuesday. It made me grateful that my brothers and I had asthma growing up because I was able to catch it pretty early. We spent hours and hours in urgent care. His oxygen level was pretty low when we first got there.He did three rounds of breathing treatments on the nebulizer and they also gave him some other medication to break up the congestion. He doing better but not well.

He had to get a nebulizer for out home, and two different medications to go along with it, xopenex and pulmicort. One opens up the airway and the other helps prevent future asthma attacks. So much fun! For anyone that has a two year old, imagine making them sit still for 5 fifteen minute intervals every day and breath deeply out of a plastic tube. He does pretty well, but it's hard for him to sit still that long. Especially since the medicine really winds him up. For the last two days he has done nothing but talk. There is a constant stream of words coming out of his mounth. Sometimes they don't even make sense, he's just making noise. But the medicine makes him really antsy and I can't let him run around, so I guess all that extra energy is coming out as words. But I figure all the talking is a good sign, because you can talk then you can breathe. Like I said, he's getting better, but he still has a way to go before we can take him off the nebulizer.

Other than that, life is pretty uneventful. Tawny has a cold, but is fine. And she is almost crawling. So close. Which means I need to go baby proof the house. But I don't mind. On one hand, I love watching her grow up and develop a personality. Or the other hand, where did my little baby go?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hopefully the breathing treatments will continue to work and he will stop fighting you so much :S Maybe a new movie would help... he can only watch it while he's doing a breathing treatment??
Or if you'd just like to borrow one of our HUNDREDS... let me know...