Tuesday, June 24, 2008

HELP!!

So we're in the middle of a mini-crisis. Tawny is 10 months old and has been breastfed exclusively. Which wasn't a problem until saturday. I nursed her in the morning, just like normal. But when I went to nurse her again four hours later, nothing. I didn't think much of it. No big deal right? She'll miss one feeding. But a few hours later, still nothing. Somehow I completely dried up in a four hour period. I try to nurse her, but I never let down. Not only that, but they went down a full cup size in a 24 hour period. Out of curiosity, has anyone ever had this happen before? Needless to say, Tawny had to switch to formula.

But apparently she never got the memo. It's day three and she absolutely refuses to drink it. She's probably drank 2 oz of formula since saturday. And I'm pretty sure I'm rounding up. I have tried everything I can think of. Her pediatrician said to not worry, just keep trying and she'll eventually take it. But he's never met a girl as stubborn as Tawny (I wonder where she got that from?) If she even sees a bottle or sippy cup she throws herself on the floor and has a complete meltdown until it's removed from her sight. Just now I gave her straight apple juice in her sippy and she threw it at me. What baby won't drink straight apple juice?

The logical side of me says when she gets thirsty enough she'll drink. But when I watch her in action I realize I'm not dealing with logic. I'm dealing with an angry, stubborn, but very cute baby. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Melissa said...

This kind of happened with Jake... I had kidney stones and they put me on some meds that dried up my milk. I had to have friends and family give him his bottle for the first few days. Then he finally took it from me about 3 days later. Spence never would drink formula. And we had to try 3 different kinds before we found one Em would drink (Carnation). Good luck!

Kendra said...

I dried up with my first at 10 months. I just stopped making milk. Luckily he liked the bottle. I just knew when he nursed one day that my milk was suddenly gone?! I kissed him and said, sorry guy, that was your last time. It was sad. I had mastitis a lot with him and I think that had something to do with it.
(I'm Emily B.'s sis-in-law)