Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Washington Trip



I hate when I get so far behind on my blogging. I don't know if I should catch up or just start where we are now and skip the last month. I decided to go back because January was just too memorable to miss.


I'll start with a random picture of Ethan. We have this oversized ottoman that he loves to push around the house and use as a step ladder to reach everything he's not supposed to. So recently I've been turning it upside down when I can't watch him super close. Now he likes to fill it with toys and climb inside to play. I don't mind because it's much safer than using to climb on the counter (true story. I found him on the kitchen counter one day. Let's just say my heart just about stopped.)

On January 7th we got a call that Greg's Grandma Idris wasn't doing very well and probably wouldn't be around much longer. We all felt like it was important to see her again we made and impromptu trip up the Washington for a few days. I am so glad that we did. We were able to spend a few days with her. We all loved it and she seemed to enjoy having family around. Brayden and Tawny were really sweet to her. As Tawny would say, "It made my heart smile" to see how kind they were. Tawny told one of Greg's aunts ( I think it was Aunt Shawna or Aunt Ellen) that we came up to Washington to "help make Grandma Idris smile". When we said goodbye to Grandma Idris on Wednesday Brayden gave her a glow stick bracelet that he had to play with in the car. We later found out that Grandma Idris was still wearing it when she passed away the following Tuesday. These are all just little memories that I don't want to forget.
I didn't have the privilege of knowing Idris for very many years. But I was able to spend quite a bit of time with her while we lived in Washington while I was pregnant with Ethan. Me and my kids loved picking raspberries with her. Another time she made bread with Brayden and Tawny, made them their own individual mini loaves and let them keep the pan. Two years later and my kids still ask me to make them a "Grandma Idris bread" (a mini loaf) when I bake my weekly bread. She was constantly giving, and lived every moment cheerfully. She was a true example of charity, the pure of Christ. She had a way of letting all those around her know they were loved regardless of any shortcomings. I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to spend what little time I did with her and wish I could have spent so much more.




While up in Washington we also got to spend time with Greg's family and had so much fun. Brayden and Tawny really love their Aunt BrittanyJo and all their uncles. I think sometimes they love them a little too much to the point of smothering them! They rough-housed with Chase and played Wii with Anthony and Chase. They also loved playing with their cousin Auger. As usual, when I vacation I am awful at taking pictures and missed all of these moments. But I didn't manage to catch a few.


Eating a snack at Grandma Idris'On night we went to BrittanyJo's basketball game. We had so much fun! coloring together (well, Tawny colored and Ethan ate the crayons)







No comments: